META name="y_key" content="aa5e46f955af38ff"> The LEAD Ladies...: LEAD ALERT!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

LEAD ALERT!


WARNING: REUSABLE GROCERY BAGS MAY CONTAIN LEAD

Thorton Laboratories (USA) has recently found concentrations of  LEAD in reusable shopping bags. More than half of the bags tested from approximately 25 different manufacturers had levels of lead ranging from 5 to 100 ppm.

SHOULD I BE CONCERNED?

Yes. The bags of concern have been distributed in both Canada and the US. Stop using your reusable grocery bags until you have determined they are 100% lead free. Remember, there is no safe level of lead!

HOW DO IN KNOW IF MY BAG IS SAFE?

First check where it was made. If it was made in China, the risk of it containing lead is much higher. Reusable bags with elaborate illustrations are likely to contain higher levels of lead. Yellow and green paints often contain higher levels of lead. Other bright colours should be a cause for concern and investigation as well. If in doubt, do not use your bag. Wash you hands well after handling.

CAN I CHECK FOR LEAD?

Absolutely. Use a home lead test kit and follow the instructions carefully. The LEAD-FREE STORE has the best selection of test kits available. They are inexpensive and ship in just a few days.

MY BAG CONTAINS LEAD. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Please do not throw your bag in the garbage where the lead will leach back into the earth when it reaches the landfill, or may become lead vapour if incinerated. Secure the reusable bag in an airtight plastic bag, and if possible, return it to the store where it was purchased. You are justified in a request for a refund, but the real purpose is to put the responsibility of dealing with the dangerous product back in the hands of the person who sold it you, while sending a clear message about the product safety standard you expect as a consumer.

WHERE CAN I GET A LEAD-FREE REUSABLE BAG?

Check with your retailer and ask specifically for “lead-free”.                                                     Or... here is a quick link to the LEAD-FREE STORE where you can order                       lead-free reusable grocery bags on-line.


For more information on lead, visit www.enoughlead.com .


1 comment:

  1. Wow, thank you so much for your thorough information! I wish I could return all the bags I have collected, however being a military family, I have bags from different states, but the ones I did get where I am now are going back! (Walmart, our local grocery chain, Target...) Thanks for a link to a better bag. I did buy some from HowGreenIsYourBag.com, and having paid considerable more I hope that one is a good, lead-free brand. I think I will go check now...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete